I’ve had a few students who have recently come to me, wanting to be music performance majors when they get to college. Students I’ve talked to about becoming a music major have all been interested in one day becoming a band director so this was a bit of a new thought process. The most recent student is mid-way through sophomore year so I feel like it’s critical to get everything on the right track now. So, here are some things I’ve come up with. If I’ve left anything out, please add in the comments.
- Start private lessons with a college professor.
- Skype lessons with as many professional musicians as I can connect with them.
- Summer programs like Tanglewood or Interlochen.
- Find as many performance gigs as possible.
- Figure out where professional performers went to school and look into the current procedures of auditioning at those locations.
Thanks for any input in advance.